Meet board member laura pelantRead Now
Meet Laura Pelant.
Laura is originally from St. Cloud Minnesota, now living in Big Lake with her cat Tux, dog Piper and a baby due January 2020. She loves all things outdoors, spending time with family and friends, and going to concerts.
She comes to us with a wealth of knowledge in the non profit sector having previously worked at Make- A-Wish Minnesota, Love Your Melon and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. She has previously worked on Galas that have brought in over $800,000. We are beyond excited to have Laura join the INDY tribe!
1. What is your professional background? - I started my nonprofit career at Make-A-Wish Minnesota, first on the program team and then on the fundraising team. I then went to Love Your Melon, where I helped establish and run their non-profit. I now work at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation- Minnesota/Dakotas chapter as a Development Director!
2. How did you connect with the INDY nation? - I first learned about INDY from my aunt Lindsay, who is also a board member. In 2018, my aunt Cheryl was honored as an INDY warrior, and I saw firsthand how INDY nation blesses families across Minnesota.
3. Greatest accomplishment: This is a tough one- I’m not sure my greatest accomplishment has happened yet! In 2016 I completed the Ultra Looney Challenge, which is a 5k, 10k, and marathon all in the same weekend- it was definitely a one-time achievement! Professionally, I’m proud of a fundraising campaign I executed at Make-A-Wish that helped raise enough money to grant 9 wishes.
4.Greatest Adventure: My husband and I love to travel, and we’ve had some pretty incredible adventures along the way. I’d say our road trip to Yellowstone or watching the sunrise on Mount Haleakala in Maui are at the top of the list. But I think our greatest adventure is yet to come- our first child is due in January!
5. One word that describes your purpose for how you live life? Gratefully
6. Life motto: “I’ve always had the feeling that life loves the liver of it. You must live and life will be good to you, give you experiences. They may not all be that pleasant, but nobody promised you a rose garden. But more than likely if you do dare, what you get are the marvelous returns.” - Maya Angelou
7. What is your superpower? I can always find a good reason to throw a theme party! In all seriousness, I’d say my superpower is the ability to celebrate others.
8. What is your At-Bat song (The song that gets you going, or they would play if you were up to bat)? The Warrior, Patty Smyth
9. Where is the best place you have traveled? Yellowstone National Park or Maui
10. One item on your bucket list: Cage diving with sharks!
11. What is one thing most people don’t know about you? I have two middle names. Other than that, I’m pretty much an open book!
12. What is your favorite thing to do with your family? I love spending time outside with family- hanging out on the boat, skiing, grilling, bonfires, camping, etc.
13. What is your favorite thing to do for yourself? Right now, it’s definitely taking naps. Other than that, I love reading.
14. If you had an unlimited checkbook for one day, what would you buy? Gift cards to Amazon and Target- is that cheating?
15. Tell us about someone you admire? Before I started working in non-profits, I would have said someone like Eleanor Roosevelt. But the strongest, bravest people I’ve ever met are the kids and families I’ve had the honor of working with over the years. I’ve learned so much about resiliency, courage, and the power of love and community.